Members of the NVCC are expected to attend all rehearsals and performances of the ensemble except for serious illness, family emergency/illness, or prior commitment that has been approved by the artistic director. Rehearsals occur every other Sunday evening (in general) from 4:00-6:00pm. A complete list of rehearsal and performance dates will be given to members after a successful audition, and final membership will be determined after members confirm that they can attend all rehearsal (with the exceptions noted above). Additional absences that are not pre-approved or that are not emergencies may result in removal from the NVCC.
Outside of rehearsal responsibility
Since the NVCC rehearses only twice a month, it is imperative that members do the majority of the learning of notes and rhythms on their own. It is expected that members come to rehearsal with those basic elements prepared. The Artistic Director will email a basic rehearsal plan to members after each rehearsal so that they can prepare the appropriate pieces for the next rehearsal. The NVCC does not memorize music.
Members will be required to purchase their music unless told otherwise. While members should make appropriate score markings during the course of rehearsals, please make all markings in pencil and keep your music in as good a quality as possible.
Each member is responsible for providing his or her own concert attire and a black performance folder. Folder orders will be taken at the beginning of each concert season for members that do not already own a folder.
- Female concert attire: All black, floor length (dress OR skirt and blouse OR slacks and blouse) Sleeve length should be ¾ length or full sleeve. Shoes should be black with closed toes, and heel should be no more than 1 inch (for your own comfort). Please keep any earrings conservative. No necklaces, please.
- Male concert attire: Black dress pants, black jacket, black bow tie, black socks and shoes, and white shirt (either regular collar or wing-tip collar). (This is essentially a black tuxedo package that can be purchased from various apparel companies. Members will be given ordering information if they desire).
ALL MEMBERS: Please do not wear any fragrances. No perfume or cologne.
Other obligations/opportunities for members
There are numerous financial responsibilities that the NVCC incurs (paying rehearsal accompanist, rental of rehearsal and performance space, music purchases, hiring of instrumentalists, non-profit insurance costs, program printing, publicity, etc.). As ticket sales alone cannot cover these and other expenses, a $50 per semester fee is required of members. Please note that this fee is subject to change. If this presents a financial hardship, members may ask to have the fee waived by contacting the board president, Lowell Daun at firstname.lastname@example.org
We welcome any donations by members above the $50 fee. As we are 501C3 organization, those donations are tax deductible. See below for various levels of sponsorship.
- Conductor’s Baton ($1,000 and above)
- Director’s Circle ($500-$999)
- Benefactor ($250-$499)
- Patron ($100-$249)
- Friend ($1-$99)
Membership of the NVCC board of directors shall be between 6 and 8. If you are interested in serving on the board, please approach one of the current board members or the artistic director.
Members have the opportunity to serve the NVCC in other positions such as Librarian or Historian. Please approach one of the board members if you are interested in serving in such a position.
Board Members 2018-19:
- Lowell Daun (President)
- Christina Wong (Treasurer)
- Keith Herritt (Secretary)
- David Scholz (Artistic Director)
- Craig Duncan
- Peter Magnusson
- Marcie Nelson
- Audrey Tennis